Post 11 juniors rally past Aycock
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on June 18, 2006 2:17 AM
MOUNT OLIVE -- The Wayne County Post 11 Junior American Legion team rallied to score six runs in the fifth and sixth innings to knock off cross-county rival Aycock 4-2 on Friday night.
Aycock scored a pair runs in the top of the first inning as Will Edgerton blasted a two-run homer, but a Garrett Barfield two-run double for Post 11 (6-1) in the home half of the fifth tied the game at two.
Byron Powell followed with a run-scoring single to put Wayne County up for good as Post 11 scored four times in the fifth and added a pair of insurance runs in the sixth.
For Post 11, Barfield finished up 2-for-3 with his two-run double; Alex Casey went 1-for-2, scored a run and had a sacrifice bunt; Chad Gurley was 1-for-4 with a run scored; Byron Powell was 2-for-4, scored a run and drove in another; Timmy Rogers was 2-for-3 and Tyler Edwards was also 2-for-3 and scored two runs.
For Aycock, Edgerton went 1-for-4 with his two-run homer; and Evan Medford was 2-for-4 and scored a run.
On the mound, Michael Douglas, Anthony Otellio and Sterling Grice, who picked up the win, each threw two innings as Taylor Allen came on for the save.
Jay Rose took the loss for Aycock.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series