Suns top Mudcats
Published in Sports on June 29, 2006 2:03 PM
ZEBULON -- A five-run fifth inning propelled the Jacksonville Suns past the Carolina Mudcats 7-2 at Five County Stadium on Wednesday night.
Adam Bostick (5-5) allowed five unearned runs in the eight-batter frame, which was fueled by a fielding error by Rex Rundgren on a double-play ball. Later in the inning, Craig Brazell hit a three-run homer to center to cap the inning.
The Mudcats' three-game winning streak was halted, and ended the first 10 games of the second half at 5-5.
Frank Moore, who homered and drove in three on Tuesday night, doubled home a run against the centerfield wall in the fifth to bring the Mudcats (5-5) to within 5-1.
The Suns (5-5) added a run in the eighth and ninth, but still lost the series to the Mudcats 3-2.
Rundgren had two of the five Carolina hits, a pair of singles and scored Carolina's first run.
The Mudcats' homestand continues tonight in the series opener with Tennessee. Manu Olivera (3-4, 3.22) starts against the Smokies' Garrett Mock (3-7, 4.89) at 7:15 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series