Mudcats blank Smokies
Published in Sports on July 3, 2006 2:15 PM
ZEBULON -- Edgar Gonzalez had three hits and three RBIs while three Carolina pitchers combined on an eight-hit shutout as the Mudcats defeated Tennessee 4-0 on Sunday afternoon at Five County Stadium.
After Brett Carroll singled home a run in the second inning, Gonzalez drilled a first pitch high against the left field wall with the bases loaded to complete a four-run inning sending James Russ (5-6) to his second straight victory.
Russ worked six scoreless innings on a day where temperatures reached the mid 90s. Chris Mobley and Matt Yourkin combined for the final three frames as Carolina (7-7) tossed its ninth shutout of the season and third of the second half.
Greg Smith (2-2) suffered his second loss in four Double-A starts after winning his last nine outings in High-A Lancaster. Smith yielded four runs on eight hits during his first outing against the Mudcats.
With the series tied 2-2, Adam Bostick (5-5, 3.68) will start for Carolina tonight against Ross Ohlendorf (7-3, 2.42) at 7:15.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series