Aycock splits Junior Legion twinbill with West Johnston
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on July 6, 2006 2:06 PM
PIKEVILLE -- Aycock concluded Area II Division play by splitting a doubleheader against West Johnston the Charles B. Aycock diamond Wednesday evening.
West Johnston seized a 4-3, eight-inning victory in the opener. Bryant Hill and Jordan Quinn combined for a complete-game win as Aycock prevailed 6-1 in the nightcap.
Aycock (5-10) drew the No. 4 seed for the playoffs and opposes regular-season champion Wilson Post 13 at 11 a.m. Saturday on the Wilson Fike High diamond.
Conner Narron doubled in a 3-for-4 effort in game one. Evan Medford, Jackson Wooten (RBI) and Jordan Carr each provided a single.
Hill tossed two innings of three-strikeout relief, but suffered the pitching loss in relief of starter Jay Rose. Rose yielded two earned runs and fanned nine West Johnston batters in a six-inning stint.
In game two, Rose collected two hits and scored twice. Medford batted 1-for-3 and also scored two runs. Carr doubled and delivered two RBI in two at-bats.
Wooten and Hill each drove in a run. David Gurganus drew a walk and added a hit in two official plate appearances.
Aycock concludes regular-season play at home today against Wayne County, which qualified for the postseason from the Area I Division.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series