By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on July 7, 2006 2:06 PM
GREENVILLE -- Tyler Wicks collected three hits and two RBI as Wayne County Post 11 pounded D.H. Conley 21-10 on the American Junior Legion baseball scene Wednesday evening.
Wayne County (13-3) finished 9-1 against Area I Division competition and entertains D.H. Conley in an opening-round playoff contest Friday. Game time is 7 p.m. at the Doyle Whitfield Athletic Complex on the Southern Wayne campus.
Alex Casey (double), Chad Gurley (two RBI), Garrett Barfield (RBI) and Byron Powell (RBI) each provided two hits for Post 11.
Scott Holloman (RBI), Nolan Lancaster (RBI), Sterling Grice (2 RBI) and Tyler Edwards (2 RBI) each finished the five-inning contest with one hit.
Taylor Allen emerged the winning pitcher.
Wayne County's regular-season finale at Aycock, also a playoff qualifier, was rained out and will not be rescheduled.
Wayne 080 93 -- 21 17 4
D.H. Conley 020 80 -- 10 6 4
Leading hitters -- Wayne County -- Alex Casey 2-4, 2B; Chad Gurley 2-5, 2 RBI; Garrett Barfield 2-4, RBI; Byron Powell 2-3, 2B, RBI; Scott Holloman 1-1, RBI; Tyler Wicks 3-4, 2 RBI; Nolan Lancaster 1-3, RBI; Sterling Grice 1-2, 2 RBI; Tyler Edwards 1-3, 2 RBI.
WP -- Taylor Allen.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series