Aycock shocks Wilson in Area II opening-round action
By Gabe Whisnant
Published in Sports on July 9, 2006 2:02 AM
WILSON -- Jordan Carr posted three hits --including a home run and a double -- and drove in four runs in No. 4 Aycock's 18-9 win over top-seeded Wilson in the first game of the Junior Legion playoffs on Saturday afternoon.
Aycock (6-10 overall) traveled to face Clayton at 7 p.m. on Saturday night with the winner earning a spot in the second round. Information on that game was not available at press time.
In the early game, Aycock jumped out to a 10-1 lead after four innings, before Wilson rallied to cut the lead to 10-9 in the bottom of the sixth.
The visitors responded with eight runs in the top of the seventh to put the game away.
In a balanced attack, Even Medford finished with two hits -- reaching base four times -- and scoring twice. Connor Narron scored four runs, drove in two and was on base six times. Jay Rose added two hits and three RBIs, while Zack Wright drove in two and scored twice.
Bryant Hill picked up the win for Aycock in five innings of work. After 1/3 of an inning by Jordan Quinn, Rose tossed the final 12/3 to close out the game.
Wilson, which finished 7-1 in league play, hosted Benson on Saturday night in an elimination contest.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series