Post 11 Juniors face elimination game today at home
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on July 12, 2006 2:14 PM
RED OAK -- Jeremy Proctor delivered the game-winning RBI in the ninth inning as Northern Nash nipped Wayne County 5-4 in the Junior American Legion baseball playoffs.
Wayne County (15-5) entertains Roanoke Rapids at 7 p.m. today in an elimination-round game. South Central Pitt (13-7) opposes Northern Nash with the winner advancing to the state tournament.
Post 11 right-hander Sterling Grice tossed a no-hitter through four innings and left with a 4-0 lead. Reliever Byron Powell yielded four runs in the bottom half of the fifth inning and eventually suffered the mound loss.
Tyler Wicks smacked a solo home run in the second inning and ended the extra-inning affair with two hits. Alex Casey batted 2-for-4.
Timmy Rogers, Nolan Lancster, Scott Holloman (RBI) and Jackson Frederick each provided one hit for Wayne County.
Wayne 010 300 000 -- 4 9 2
N. Nash 000 040 001 -- 5 6 2
Leading hitters -- Wayne County -- Alex Casey 2-4; Tyler Wicks 2-3, HR, RBI; Timmy Rogers 1-4; Nolan Lancaster 1-4; Scott Holloman 1-4, RBI; Jackson Frederick 1-3. Northern Nash -- Tyler Clark 2-4; Jeremy Proctor 2-5.
WP -- Mike Williams. LP -- Byron Powell.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series