K-Tribe storms back, stuns Salem
Published in Sports on July 13, 2006 2:18 PM
SALEM, Va. -- The Kinston Indians scored three runs in the top of the ninth and one in the 10th to steal a 7-6 victory over the Salem Avalanche on Wednesday night.
An Argenis Reyes bloop single over the head of Salem's first baseman drove Javi Herrera home from third and put Kinston up 7-6 in the top of the 10th. T.J. Burton (1-3) got Francisco Caraballo to ground out to the shortstop with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 10th to secure the one-run win.
Jeffrey Wigdahl (3-2) took the loss for Salem.
The K-Tribe trailed 5-3 in the top of the ninth inning when Reyes led off with a single. Brandon Pinckney walked one batter later, before a two-run triple by Brian Barton tied the game at five. Rodney Choy Foo drove Barton home with an RBI sacrifice fly to put Kinston up 6-5.
Salem pushed the game into extra innings when Kinston gave up an unearned run on an error by right fielder Jose Constanza.
Reyes, Barton, Choy Foo and Herrera each had two hits for the K-Tribe. It was just the second time in 25 games that Kinston has come back and won a game when trailing going into the ninth inning. Kinston is now 3-5 in extra inning games.
Kinston will send Chuck Lofgren to the mound in game two of this four-game series today at 7:05 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series