Bulls rally in eighth
Published in Sports on July 14, 2006 2:06 PM
DURHAM -- Shawn Riggans and Ben Zobrist hit two-run singles in Durham's five-run eighth to help the Bulls beat the Columbus Clippers 7-4 on Thursday night.
Riggans drove in B.J. Upton and Delmon Young, and three batters later, Zobrist singled with the bases loaded.
Russ Johnson, Caonabo Cosme and Wil Nieves homered for the Clippers (39-49).
Durham's Chad Orvella (3-0) struck out three and walked one in two scoreless innings to notch the win. Seth McClung picked up his first save of the season, pitching a scoreless ninth inning with one strikeout. Mark Corey (4-3) took the loss for the Clippers, allowing three runs while only getting one out, off two hits. Jose Veras blew the save for Columbus, allowing an earned run on two hits and a walk in 2/3 of an inning.
McDonald finished 3-for-4 with a run, a run batted in and two stolen bases. Riggans went 2-for-4 with a run scored and three driven in. Zobrist, acquired the day before from Houston in the Aubrey Huff trade, finished 1-for-1 with two RBIs in his Triple-A debut.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series