Montgomery edges Carolina 3-2
Published in Sports on July 14, 2006 2:08 PM
MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- Andy Sonnanstine won his sixth consecutive start, fanning a career-high 11 batters as Montgomery edged Carolina 3-2 at Riverwalk Stadium on Thursday night.
Sonnanstine (9-6) defeated the team which beat him last, working seven innings in leading the Biscuits (13-9) to evening the five-game series 1-1.
Carolina (9-13) took a 1-0 lead in the first inning on an RBI-double from Edgar Gonzalez, which scored former Biscuit Frank Moore from first base. Moore, who had singled to open the game, played in Montgomery in its inaugural season in 2004. He finished the game 2-for-4.
Montgomery pushed ahead 2-1 in the first against Carolina starter James Russ (5-7) with a pair of runs, then advanced the lead to 3-1 on a deep homer to center from Michael Coleman in the third.
After a Brett Carroll double scaled the top of the left field wall in the fourth to slice the deficit to 3-2, the Mudcats squandered a pair of innings where the first two batters reached.
Jean Machi worked a quiet ninth inning to record his ninth save.
Trevor Hutchinson makes his first Double-A start since late 2004 when he takes the mound tonight at 8:05.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series