Smokies blank Mudcats
Published in Sports on July 25, 2006 2:12 PM
SEVIERVILLE, Tenn -- Matt Chico pitched seven scoreless innings, while Alberto Gonzalez collected his first four-hit game of the season as Tennessee blanked Carolina 7-0 in the series opener at Smokies Park on Monday night.
Chico (6-2) won his fifth straight start, allowing just four hits and one walk in defeating the Mudcats (12-19 second half) for the second time in two outings this season.
Gonzalez, who paced the Smokies' (17-14) 13-hit attack, doubled twice, tripled in a run in the sixth and singled in the eighth.
Mark Reynolds supplied the big hit during a five-run fourth inning, clobbering a three-run homer against James Russ (5-8), his third in 11 Double-A games, and his 26th combined of the season, second most in the minors.
Chico aided his cause with two run-producing groundouts, one in the fourth and the other in the sixth against reliever Adam Brandenburg.
Carolina mustered just five hits -- all singles -- in being shutout for the 11th time this season.
The game featured the first of the Marlins' most-recent signees, Josh Pressley, who was a top prospect in the Tampa Bay organization. Pressley, who started at first base, went 0-for-4.
Paul Mildren (9-7, 3.42) starts tonight against Tennessee's Garrett Mock (4-8, 4.40) at 7:15.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series