Braves pound Mudcats
Published in Sports on August 1, 2006 2:09 PM
PEARL, Miss. -- Barbaro Canizarez had three hits and three RBIs to lead an 18-hit attack as Mississippi pounded Carolina 13-4 at Trustmark Park on Monday night.
One day after Carolina (13-25) snapped a seven-game losing streak, the Mudcats gave up season highs in hits and runs, falling behind in the series 2-1.
The Braves (16-22) scored five times in the fourth inning to overcome a 3-1 deficit. Manu Olivera (3-7) allowed seven runs over his 42/3 inning start to absorb the loss.
Brett Carroll doubled and homered on a 2-for-4 night to lead Carolina offensively.
Shortstop Rex Rundgren made his pitching debut, throwing a scoreless eighth inning. The Mudcats play the fourth game of the series tonight with Jose Garcia (3-4, 3.10) making the start at 8:05.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series