Carolina doubles up Tennessee
Published in Sports on August 7, 2006 2:07 PM
ZEBULON -- Brett Carroll delivered a two-run double during a five-run seventh inning as Carolina defeated West Tenn 6-3 at Five County Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
The game was scoreless thanks to a duel between Manu Olivera and Isaac Pavlik, who carried the shutout into the bottom of the sixth when a double play ball hit by Carroll scored Kevin Randel with the game's first run.
Olivera was relieved to begin the seventh, but Trevor Hutchinson quickly surrendered three runs, capped by a two-run homer by Jake Fox.
The Mudcats batted, however, around in the bottom half, picking up a run on a bases loaded walk, followed by Carroll's double which gave Hutchinson (1-3) his first Double-A victory since 2004.
Scott Tyler and Christopher Young (S, 6) combined for the final two innings to cap the Mudcats' fourth-straight victory, matching their longest winning streak of the season.
Jose Garcia starts today at 7:15 p.m. for Carolina in the fourth game of the five-game set.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series