McCarthy sparks Richmond rally over Bulls
Published in Sports on August 7, 2006 2:05 PM
DURHAM -- Bill McCarthy scored on a single to start a five-run third inning that gave the Richmond Braves a 7-4 win over the Durham Bulls on Sunday.
The Braves sent 10 batters to the plate in the third. McCarthy led off with a double, then scored the game's first run.
Dax Norris and Johnathan Schuerholz added runs on a single by Gregor Blanco, who scored next on a bases-loaded walk by Cesar Crespo. McCarthy picked up his second hit of the inning with an RBI single that scored Martin Prado and gave the Braves a 5-0 lead.
Richmond added two more runs in the sixth, including Carlos Mendez' third home run of the season.
Durham's Kevin Witt smacked his league-leading 33rd homer of the season in the eighth.
Brian OConnor (7-9) earned the win, allowing only one run on four hits while striking out nine over six innings. Jim Magrane (1-1) took the loss for the Bulls, allowing five runs on seven hits and three strikeouts.
The Bulls head to Charlotte for a two-game set with the Knights today at 7:15 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series