Mudcats get 1-0 victory
Published in Sports on August 8, 2006 2:15 PM
ZEBULON -- Jose Garcia and two relievers combined on a four-hit shutout as Carolina won its fifth straight game 1-0 over West Tenn at Five County Stadium on Monday night.
Garcia (4-5) pitched seven scoreless frames, culminating with escaping a bases-loaded, none-out jam in the seventh. Garcia fanned 2004 Southern League MVP Richard Lewis, then induced a foul pop out and a flyout to right.
Carolina (19-26) scored the game's only run in the sixth on a two-out single by J.C. Muniz to score Lee Mitchell. Muniz's hit dropped in front of centerfielder Chris Walker, and extended his hitting streak to eight games.
Matt Yourkin recorded four outs, then handed the ball over to Christopher Young (S, 6), who fanned Brandon Sing and induced a groundout to end the game.
With the victory, Carolina moved to within seven of first place Tennessee.
Adam Bostick (6-7, 3.84) starts for Carolina tonight against J.R. Mathes (8-6, 3.26).
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series