Huntsville hammers Mudcats
Published in Sports on August 16, 2006 2:16 PM
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. -- Corey Thurman hit a two-run double while pitching seven strong innings as Huntsville downed Carolina 8-1 in the series opener at Davis Stadium on Tuesday night.
Thurman (5-8) retired the first 13 hitters he faced, and gave himself a 2-0 lead with a two-out double against James Russ (6-9) in the second inning. Huntsville (27-23) moved ahead 4-0 in the third thanks to a double by Drew Anderson and a single from Lou Palmisano.
Russ worked five innings, allowing seven hits and four runs.
Carolina (22-29) broke into the hit and run column on the same swing in the fifth when Brett Carroll drove out his sixth Double-A homer to left field against Thurman. The only other Carolina hit was a grounder to center from first baseman Josh Pressley.
Kevin Cave was touched for four runs in 11/3 innings before Chris Mobley entered to complete the loss.
Manu Olivera (3-7, 3.55) starts tonight against Steve Hammond (4-4, 2.15) at 8:05 p.m. at Davis Stadium.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series