Huntsville tops Mudcats
Published in Sports on August 17, 2006 2:24 PM
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. -- Despite three solo home runs -- including two by J.C. Muniz -- Carolina could not overcome an early 5-0 deficit and fell to Huntsville 6-3 at Davis Stadium on Wednesday night.
Muniz homered in his first two at-bats, giving him his first multi-home run game of his career, while Jonathan Aceves hit his second pinch-hit homer of the season to lead the Carolina offense.
Huntsville, however, took a 5-0 lead in the second inning against Manu Olivera (3-8) and did not look back. Ozzie Chavez and winning pitcher Steve Hammond (5-4) each doubled in a pair of runs in the inning, while Callix Crabbe bunted home the other with two outs. Olivera settled in to work 42/3 additional innings, yet remained winless since June 5.
Carolina (22-30), which mustered two hits in Tuesday's loss, managed only four on Wednesday night, with Rex Rundgren's single in the third inning the Mudcats' only other hit.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series