Lloyd tallies all four TDs in North Duplin victory
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 27, 2006 2:17 AM
CALYPSO -- North Duplin opened the Hugh Martin era with a 27-7 victory over Chatham Central at H.E. Grubbs Field on Friday evening.
Junior quarterback Doug Lloyd accounted for all four touchdowns on runs of 32, 13, 14 and 4 yards; and led the Rebels to their first season-opening win since 2003. Lloyd finished with 106 yards rushing and 112 yards passing.
Michael Schilling added 63 yards rushing on 10 carries, while Billy Mello toted the ball 11 times for 56 yards.
Lloyd used four receivers -- Mello, Schilling, Sherman Hyatt and Demetrius Vann. Mello had 44 yards on two receptions. Schilling hauled in a 34-yard pass, while Vann grabbed three passes for 19 yards.
North Duplin had 348 yards of total offense.
The Rebel defense forced three turnovers and held the Bears, of the Class 1-A Yadkin Valley Conference, to just nine first downs on 34 offensive plays.
North Duplin (1-0) returns to action next Friday at Hampstead Topsail. The Pirates won last year's meeting 23-17. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series