Seahawk defense handcuffs speedy Bennett
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 27, 2006 2:14 AM
CHOCOWINITY -- State-ranked Southside pitched a second-half shutout defensively and turned back Rosewood 20-7 on Friday evening.
The Seahawks, ranked No. 9 in the N.C. Prep Football News preseason Class 1-A poll, limited the Eagles' misdirection offense to a second-quarter a touchdown. Senior signal caller Josh Myers threw a 12-yard strike to Garrett Howell midway through the period.
Myers concluded the non-conference affair with 94 yards passing and 21 yards rushing. Howell caught three passes for 34 yards. Steven McIntyre hauled in a 37-yard reception.
Southside's defense limited halfback Devon Bennett to just 25 yards rushing on 12 carries. Overall, Rosewood amassed just 67 yards rushing on 35 totes and 161 yards of total offense.
Rosewood (1-1) entertains unbeaten Hobbton next Friday. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. at Branch Pope Field.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series