Randel sparks Mudcat victory
Published in Sports on August 30, 2006 1:46 PM
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- Kevin Randel hit a pinch-hit, three-run double in the sixth as Carolina took its second and final lead, defeating Chattanooga 7-4 at Bell South Park on Tuesday night in the regular season road finale for the Mudcats.
Randel dropped his double inside the left field line against reliever David Shafer, who was attempting to pull starter Camilo Vazquez (3-4) from a jam.
Jose Garcia (6-7) earned the win working five innings, permitting five hits and three runs.
Christopher Young notched his 11th save pitching the last 21/3 innings.
The Mudcats (27-38) closed the road season with a 21-49 record, avoiding matching their worst-ever season away from Five County Stadium (1998, 20-50).
Carolina opens the final series of the season at Five County on Thursday night with Daniel Barone (1-0, 1.50) scheduled to start against the Jacksonville Suns at 7:15.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series