Trojan spikers look to snap three-match losing streak
Published in Sports on September 8, 2006 2:10 PM
The Mount Olive women's volleyball team begins a three-match road trip tonight as the Trojans head to Belmont, N.C., to face Belmont Abbey in Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference action. Match time is 6:30 p.m.
The Trojans stay in the Charlotte area Saturday for a 4 p.m. match-up against Queens, then travel to Spartanburg, S.C., Sunday to take on Converse. Match time is 3 p.m.
Mount Olive (1-4 overall, 0-1 CVAC) fell to Coker 3-0 Tuesday in the Trojans' conference opener. The loss snapped Mount Olive's 21-match home winning streak.
Junior Sam Mitchell leads the Trojans with 3.29 kills and 4.00 digs per game. Senior libero Nikki Murphy is averaging 4.43 digs per game, while sophomore middle hitter Corie Skislak is averaging 1.49 blocks per game.
Belmont Abbey (3-3, 0-1) is coming off a 3-0 loss to Pfeiffer Sunday. Queens (0-5, 0-2) fell 3-0 to Limestone Thursday, while Converse (5-3, 1-0) defeated Anderson 3-0 Thursday.
The Trojans swept the regular season series last year against Belmont Abbey and Queens. Converse handed the Trojans their only conference loss in 2005.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series