Council, Saints punish Eagles
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 10, 2006 2:19 AM
Courtesy Dunn Daily Record
LILLINGTON -- Anthony Council racked up 253 yards on 26 carries with three touchdowns to lead a balanced ground attack Friday night as Southern Wayne cruised to a 59-12 football smashing of host Western Harnett (0-4).
The Saints (2-2) broke away from an early 6-6 tie and scored 53 unaswered points before Western Harnett scored on a pass as time expired.
Tristan Bass had three toucdown runs for Southern Wayne and ended the night with 54 yards in 8 carries. Eric Futrell scored one touchdown for the Saints and picked up 122 yards on nine tries, while Kelvin Flow added 81 yards on 12 carries.
Southern Waune quarterback Michael Holland tried only three passes and completed one -- an 84-yard touchdown connection with Alex Aldridge.
The Saints finished with a whopping, 550 yards of combined rushing and 634 yards of total offense.
Tailback Devin Lee had the bulk of the Eagle offense with 109 yards in seven carries, including a 53-yard run that briefly tied the game in the first quarter. The final Western touchdown came on a 22-yard pass from D.J. Pourier to Bud Loomis.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series