Wright, Gators rush past Dixon
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 24, 2006 2:14 AM
HOLLY RIDGE -- Josh Wright rushed for a career-high 295 yards and two touchdowns in Spring Creek's 34-20, non-conference victory over fellow Class 1-A member Dixon on Friday evening.
Wright scored on touchdown runs of 60 and 38 yards for the Gators, who collected their second road win of the season.
Michael Washington put the Bulldogs (0-5), of the Coastal Plains Conference, on the board first with a 1-yard plunge early in the opening quarter. Wright's 60-yard romp closed the gap to 7-6.
Spring Creek (2-3) exploded for 22 second-quarter points. Wright started the offensive surge with his 38-yard TD run -- his seventh of the season. Senior linebacker Braxton Brickhouse returned an interception 45 yards for another score.
Quarterback Emmanuel Hinton concluded the scoring with a 25-yard strike to Alex Dunmire. It was Dunmire's first touchdown reception of the season and his eighth catch overall in five games.
Hinton completed four passes for 39 yards. The transfer from Southern Wayne finished off the scoring with a 9-yard touchdown run early in the fourth quarter.
The Gators owned a 400-345 edge in total offense and amassed a season-best 361 yards on the ground.
Spring Creek hosts state-ranked East Carteret on Friday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series