By Steve Roush
Published in Sports on October 5, 2006 2:27 PM
MOC Sports Information
MOUNT OLIVE -- Mallory Peavler served a career-high six aces, Sam Mitchell recorded 21 kills and Anna-Marie Luft added 17 kills as Mount Olive defeated Barton 29-31, 30-19, 30-20, 30-28 in CVAC volleyball Wednesday at Kornegay Arena. The Trojans recorded 13 service aces, their second-highest single-match total of the season.
Mount Olive (6-9 overall, 5-6 CVAC) scored the first three points of game one as Joanie Werling recorded the first of her three aces. The Trojans led by as many as four points before Barton (6-14, 3-11) came back to lead 25-24. The Trojans regained the lead and had two game points after Heather Pope's kill gave Mount Olive a 29-27 lead. But after a side out saved one game point, Meaghan King served the final three points to give Barton game one.
MOC, however, swept the next three games.
Racey Bartley finished with 11 kills, five blocks and an ace for Mount Olive. Werling recorded 44 assists and added six blocks to share match-high blocking honors with Corie Skislak. Mount Olive recorded 11 of its 13 team blocks after game one. Defensively, Nikki Murphy tallied a match-high 24 digs, while Mitchell added 13 digs for her sixth consecutive double-double.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series