Rams hammer Panthers in EPC action
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on October 8, 2006 2:22 AM
BETHEL -- State-ranked Greene Central launched defense of its Class 2-A Eastern Plains Conference crown with a 55-6 thrashing of North Pitt at McNair Field on Friday evening.
The Rams, rated No. 10 in the latest Associated Press 2-A poll, forced four fumbles and held the Panthers to just two first downs and 24 yards of total offense on 30 plays. Greene Central (6-1) extended its EPC winning streak to six games.
J.J. Thompson roamed for three touchdowns on runs of 1, 9 and 7 yards in the opening half.
A 6-foot, 215-pound running back, Thompson finished with a game-high 89 yards on a mere 12 carries.
Quarterback Cameron Shelton, Tyrell Lane, Reggie Edwards and Aaron Harper each contributed a rushing touchdown. Darrin Gorham returned a third-quarter fumble two yards for a touchdown.
Overall, the Rams piled up 296 yards on the ground and finished with 358 yards of total offense. Shelton completed 5 of 10 passes for 62 yards, including two for 41 yards to Harrison Walston. Walston is leading receiver in the News-Argus coverage area.
Greene Central plays host to Goldsboro next Friday, while North Pitt is the guest of Farmville Central. Each game kicks off at 7:30 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series