North Duplin upends Ayden-Grifton
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on October 22, 2006 2:19 AM
CALYPSO -- North Duplin knocked Ayden-Grifton from the unbeaten ranks in Class 1-A Carolina Conference play with a 16-7 victory at H.E. Grubbs Field on Friday evening.
Doug Lloyd's 7-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter diffused the Chargers' comeback attempt and boosted the Rebels (6-2 overall) to 2-1 in conference play. Lloyd, the reigning News-Argus player of the week, grinded out 49 yards rushing on 23 carries and threw for 73 yards.
Michael Schilling emerged North Duplin's top rusher with 105 yards on 18 carries. Billy Mello added 31 yards, including a first-quarter touchdown, on nine totes.
Freshman Junior Guzman booted a 32-yard field in the second quarter to give North Duplin a 9-0 lead at halftime.
Ayden-Grifton (6-3, 2-1 CC) pulled within 9-7 on Andrell Tyson's 30-yard fumble return and Brandon Page's successful PAT. Lloyd's touchdown with 47 seconds remaining ended the scoring.
North Duplin visits Rosewood next Friday, while Ayden-Grifton plays host to Princeton.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series