Williams earns CVAC POW accolades
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on October 25, 2006 2:12 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Mount Olive College defender Charles Williams has been named Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference Men's Soccer Player of the Week, it was announced Tuesday. Williams scored a game-winning goal last week and helped lead the Trojans defensively to a pair of wins.
Williams, a senior from Richlands (Richlands HS), scored a goal from 35 yards out in the 85th minute of Mount Olive's 1-0 victory over Erskine Saturday in the Trojans' regular season finale. He also sparked the Trojans defensively in the match, helping limit Erskine to five shots, including only one on goal as Mount Olive posted its seventh shutout of the season. Earlier in the week, Williams helped hold Barton to six shots in the Trojans' 6-1 victory over the Bulldogs.
The player of the week award is the first ever for Williams and it comes in his final career week of regular season play.
No. 7 seed Mount Olive (11-7-0 overall, 5-5-0 CVAC) heads to Belmont today to take on No. 2 seed Belmont Abbey in the first round of the 2006 CVAC Men's Soccer Tournament. The contest is a rematch of the 2004 championship game, won by the Trojans 1-0. Match time is 2 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series