Forbis tied for fifth after day one of NCHSAA 1A/2A/3A women's golf championships
Published in Sports on October 31, 2006 1:47 PM
BUIES CREEK -- Charles B. Aycock senior Kelli Forbis is tied for fifth overall after day one of the N.C. High School Athletic Association Classes 1-A/2-A/3-A women's golf championships.
Forbis fashioned an 18-hole round of 83 on the par-72, 5,638-yard Keith Hills Country Club layout. Just 17 golfers posted scores under 90 on the day.
The Golden Falcons are tied for ninth overall in team competition.
Defending champion Cydney Clanton of Concord fired a one-over par 73 to open up a four-shot lead over Wilson Fike's Amy Otteson. Lauren Smith of Salisbury, who last year was the runner-up to Clanton by eight shots, was third with a 78.
Wilson Fike leads defending state champion Salisbury by nine strokes. Jamestown Ragsdale is 12 shots back in third, followed by Southeast Guilford.
The best two scores of a team count toward the team totals and a total of 77 golfers are competing in the event, the fourth year that a separate 1A/2A/3A championship has been held.
The two-day event concludes today.
2006 N.C. High School
Women's Golf Championships
(at Keith Hills CC, Buies Creek)
1. Wilson Fike 163
2. Salisbury 172
3. Jamestown Ragsdale 175
4. Southeast Guilford 178
5. Western Alamance 179
5. Lake Norman 179
7. Asheboro 181
7. Belmont South Point 181
9. Cameron Union Pines 184
9. C.B. Aycock 184
1. Cydney Clanton, C 37-36--73
2. Amy Otteson, Fike 38-39--77
3. Lauren Smith, Salisbury 39-39--78
4. Courtney Gunter, Porter Ridge 40-39--79
5. Laura Chang, Ragsdale 41-42--83
5. Kelli Forbis, CBA 38-45--83
Rosewood volleyball d. Mount Olive 25-8, 24-26, 25-9, 25-11 -- Rebecca Fail, Jenna Aycock, Heather Silvani, Kristen Lynn, Rachael Kornegay, Kerri Jo Gurley and Kayla Ormond each served well for the Eagles. Rosewood (11-3) entertains Greenwood today.
Spring Creek d. Brogden 21-25, 25-22, 25-22, 25-19 -- Mallory Frederick collected five kills in the Gators' come-from-behind win. Hannah Brown served four aces, while Stacie Dawson provided three. Spring Creek (6-8 overall) plays host to Rosewood on Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series