Eastern Wayne emerges ECC JV champion
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on November 5, 2006 2:01 AM
Hassan Best and Danny Smith each rushed for more than 100 yards and Eastern Wayne claimed the Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference junior varsity football title outright in thrilling fashion at Little Big Horn.
Best collected three second-half touchdowns as the Warriors stormed from behind for a 30-22 victory. Eastern Wayne compiled a perfect 5-0 worksheet against ECC opposition and concluded the season 9-1 overall.
Kinston piled up 230 yards of total offense in the opening half and led 22-6 at intermission. The Warrior defense tightened and held the Vikings to just 80 yards of total offense in the final two periods.
Best scored on runs of 85, 35 and 20 yards, and ended the night with a game-high 185 yards. Smith provided Eastern Wayne's lone score in the first half, a 40-yard run, and contributed 100 yards.
Will White, Stephen Hall and Azaveous Dickens combined for nearly 100 yards. Marcus Corbett blocked a Viking punt in the end zone and recovered it for a touchdown.
Warriors head coach Jerry Pelt praised the defensive efforts of Corbett, tackles Kevin Faulk and Zack Besser and middle linebacker Brandon McCullen.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series