Rebels' Hicks emerges top area runner in 1-A championship meet
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on November 6, 2006 1:47 PM
CLEMMONS -- North Duplin's Justin Hicks finished 40th overall in the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 1-A men's cross country championships contested Saturday at Tanglewood Park.
Hicks ran the 3.1-mile course in 18 minutes, 52.3 seconds. Teammate Clint Bland finished 62nd in 19:31.5, while Spring Creek's Ryan Kelly posted a top-100 time of 21:00.03.
On the girls' side, Mideast regional runner-up Princeton had seven runners compete. Olivia Booker posted the Dawgs' best time -- a 51st-place performance of 23:36.94. Maegan Hewett (24:06.66) and Brittany Rainbow (24:25.52) crossed the finish line in 62nd and 65th place, respectively.
Haylee Wood (25:58.65) and Courtney Yancey (27:01.40) completed the team scoring. Anna Dougherty and Katherine Lampe also participated.
The Rebels' Rocio Alvarado ended up 53rd in 23:45.57.
Hayesville and N.C. School of Science and Math seized the women's and men's team championships, respectively. Hayesville edged Bishop McGuinness 61-64, while NCCSM cruised past Hayesville 31-59.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series