Trojans' Mitchell receives honor
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on November 7, 2006 1:46 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Mount Olive junior Sam Mitchell has been named to the 2006 Daktronics All-Atlantic Region Volleyball Second Team, it was announced Monday. The award marks the second year in a row Mitchell has earned All-Region honors.
Mitchell, a 5-8 outside hitter from Boyd, Wis., was named to the All-Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference first team for the second consecutive year. She ranked second in the CVAC in kills per game with a 4.22 average. She matched a career high with 27 kills against regionally ninth-ranked Limestone in the quarterfinal round of the 2006 CVAC Tournament.
Mitchell tallied 24 double-doubles (kills and digs) in 29 matches, including a pair of "20-20" matches. She recorded 27 kills and 24 digs against Queens and also notched 23 kills and 21 digs against regionally 10th-ranked Converse. Mitchell averaged 3.77 digs per game in 2006, making her the only player in the CVAC to average at least 4.00 kills and 3.70 digs per game this season. Mount Olive finished with a record of 10-20 this season and tied for seventh in the CVAC with an 8-12 mark. The Trojans defeated Queens in the first round of the 2006 CVAC Tournament before falling to No. 2 seed Limestone in the quarterfinal round.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series