Bears shut out visiting Saints
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on November 12, 2006 2:02 AM
AHOSKIE -- Rayshawn Mercer and Danny Dembry each rushed for more than 100 yards and state-ranked Hertford County blitzed Southern Wayne 42-0 on Friday evening.
The No. 6-ranked Bears (11-1) entertain Rocky Mount in a second-round, N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 3-A (small-school) playoff contest next Friday. Rocky Mount handed Hertford its lone defeat of the season.
Southern Wayne, the No. 15 seed, finished 6-6 overall.
Mercer and Dembry combined for three touchdowns, while Travis Greene added 28-yard touchdown run in the second quarter. Five different backs scored at least one touchdown for the Bears, who piled up more than 400 yards rushing as a team.
Kelvin Flow, competing on a still-gimpy ankle, paced the Saints' offense with 56 yards on 12 carries. Tristan Bass contributed 54 yards on 14 attempts, while freshman Jabari Dos Santos provided 25 yards on 12 totes in his varsity debut.
Bass emerged the defensive leader with eight tackles. John Futrell and Daquan Cozart recorded five and four stops, respectively.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series