Rosewood falls to Ayden Grifton
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on November 12, 2006 2:02 AM
LITTLEFIELD -- Matt Dougherty threw three touchdown passes and Ayden-Grifton escaped Rosewood 20-13 on the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 1-AA (large-school) playoff scene Friday evening.
The seventh-seeded Chargers improved to 9-3 overall and travel to state-ranked East Carteret next Friday. The Mariners, 11-1 overall and rated No. 10 in the latest Associated Press poll, hammered Midway 61-7.
Rosewood, the No. 10 seed, concluded the year 6-6.
Dougherty completed touchdown strikes to Jamal Hardy, Jeremy Hardy and Keith Jones. He ended the night 8 of 14 for 108 yards and one interception.
J.D. Strickland paced Ayden-Grifton's ground game with 73 yards on 17 carries.
Rosewood quarterback Josh Myers rushed for a touchdown and threw a 39-yard scoring strike to Stephen McIntyre late in the fourth quarter. Myers finished with 149 yards on of 8 of 16 passing with one interception.
Ayden-Grifton fumbled after McIntyre's score. Myers threw two incompletions and got sacked for a 10-yard loss on third down. Rosewood turned the ball over on downs and the Chargers ran out the clock.
The Eagles committed four turnovers with two leading to Ayden-Grifton touchdowns.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series