Trojan man ranked in preseason
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on November 23, 2006 8:22 AM
MOUNT OLIVE -- The Mount Olive College men's tennis team, despite returning one just player from a year ago, is ranked No. 38 in the 2007 ITA Division II preseason national poll.
The Trojans are 12th in the Atlantic Region poll.
Junior Guillherme Serra, the lone returner, earned all-conference honorable mention in each of first two years at Mount Olive. The Trojans posted an overall record of 14-14 and finished third in the Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference.
All of Mount Olive's losses came against Division I and nationally-ranked Division II opposition. The Trojans, who are 18-2 in conference play over the last two years, ended up third in last spring's CVAC tournament.
MOC head coach Burt Lewis has earned the CVAC men's tennis coach of the year award each of the past two seasons. Lewis' 2004 team earned its first-ever national ranking at season's end, and his men's team has been ranked as high as No. 28.
The Trojans open their 2007 spring season Feb. 3 with trip to Myrtle Beach. They'll play Division III Methodist University and Division I Coastal Carolina.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series