Aycock's Taylor nominated for Old Spice honor
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on January 5, 2007 2:23 PM
PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock senior Dontay Taylor has been nominated as an Old Spice Red Zone Player of the Year and will be honored in a full-page feature in USA Today in February.
Taylor rushed for more than 1,500 yards and was named the 2006 News-Argus All-Area Offensive Player of the Year. He helped the Golden Falcons post an 8-5 record that included a second-round appearance in the N.C. High School Athletic Association playoffs.
Taylor becomes eligible for national player of the year honors.
The Red Zone Player of the Year program is nationally sponsored by Proctor & Gamble and honors athletes who are able to elevate their player and step up when the heat is really on. These athletes embody leadership, performance and desire, and serve as examples to their teammates on and off the field.
Taylor has verbally committed to Elon University to play football next fall.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series