Former GC coach Hart passes away
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on January 16, 2007 2:40 PM
From staff reports
Former Greene Central men's basketball coach Kevin Hart died Sunday from a massive heart attack on his 36th birthday.
Hart coached the Rams for two seasons and guided the 2004-05 team to the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 2-A playoffs. He stepped down at the end of the season to pursue business interests, but remained involved with the basketball program.
Hart served as an assistant to current head coach Robert Browning, who led the Rams to the Eastern Plains 2-A tournament title a year ago.
"Kevin was an outstanding young man who loved young people and sports, basketball especially," said Greene Central athletics director James "Rabbit" Fulghum. "Kevin's passing is a huge loss for the Greene Central athletic family and the community."
Fulghum said that Hart's funeral service will be at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the Greene Central gymnasium. A visitation will follow and his burial will take place at 11 a.m. Thursday at the Snow Hill Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Greene Central Athletic Department, in care of James Fulghum, 140 School Drive, Snow Hill NC 28580.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series