Havelock grapplers eliminate C.B. Aycock
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on February 11, 2007 2:06 AM
WENTWORTH -- Turnabout is fair play.
A year ago, Charles B. Aycock ousted Havelock during semifinal-round action in the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 3-A dual-team playoffs. The Rams gained some revenge with a 40-27 victory in the four-team regional at Rockingham County High School.
Havelock triumphed in eight of 13 contested matches.
"They really turned it up a notch against us, and against Morehead in the finals," said Aycock head coach Kevin Smith. "Their kids refused to go to their backs, and that is what makes a good dual team. We really didn't wrestle badly at all.
"We just didn't wrestle well enough to win."
Ronald Lynn (135 pounds), Josh Overton (140), Bryant Lancaster (145), Steve Bentley (160), heavyweight Khiry Reid and Ngu Tran (125) each picked up an individual victory for C.B. Aycock. The Golden Falcons concluded the year 25-2.
Havelock lost to Morehead in the regional finals.
"We still have a lot of wrestling to do," said Smith. "We are done with the dual season, which allows us to concentrate on just the 14 wrestlers going to individual regionals.
"The kids all have goals, and we are going to do everything in our power to help our kids reach their goals."
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series