Trojans' Layne recognized by CVAC
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on February 14, 2007 2:18 PM
Tom Layne, who pitched nationally 27th-ranked Mount Olive to two wins over nationally-ranked teams, has been named Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference Baseball Pitcher of the Week, it was announced Tuesday. Layne picked up wins in starts against No. 5 Georgia College and State and No. 28 Armstrong Atlantic State.
Layne, a senior from St. Charles, Mo., pitched six innings against Armstrong Atlantic State in the Trojans' season opener, allowing one run and five hits, while striking out four. Against Georgia College and State this past Friday, Layne recorded eight strikeouts in six innings, allowing two runs (one unearned) on three hits.
A transfer from Central Missouri State, Layne has a 2-0 record with a 1.50 earned run average on the season. He is averaging a strikeout per inning with 12 strikeouts in 12 innings pitched.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series