Southern Wayne shocks Wilson Hunt
By Rob Craig
Published in Sports on February 15, 2007 2:19 PM
WILSON -- Southern Wayne shocked No. 1 seed and state-ranked Wilson Hunt 56-55 in the semifinals of the Eastern Carolina Conference 1-A tournament.
"Our guys came out ready to play," said Southern Wayne coach Russell Royal. "I told them not to lay down to Wilson Hunt and our guys answered the call. They picked it up big time on defense."
The Saints will now face the Kinston Vikings in the championship game on Friday night at 7:30 p.m. at Wilson Beddingfield.
In the win, Southern Wayne was led by Paris Armwood's 13 points and five assists while Orlando Davis added 12 and Kendrick Thompson recorded a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
Greene Central advances to finals
BETHEL -- The Greene Central Lady Rams knocked off Tarboro in the semifinals of the Eastern Plains 2-A Conference tournament to gain a berth in Friday night's championship game.
Briana Stanton scored 21 points to lead the Rams while Shawan Daniels added 19.
Greene Central faces North Lenoir on Friday at 6 p.m. for the title.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series