Trojan's prepare for tournament
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 1, 2007 2:33 PM
Mount Olive plays host to the MOC Men's Volleyball Tournament this weekend at Kornegay Arena. The Trojans take on Eastern Mennonite (Va.) Friday at 7 p.m. in the opening match.
Four matches take place Saturday, beginning with Eastern Mennonite vs. York (N.Y.) at 10 a.m. and followed by Mount Olive vs. Lees-McRae at noon. Lees-McRae faces York at 3 p.m. and the tournament concludes with Mount Olive against York at 6 p.m.
Mount Olive comes into this weekend's tournament with a number of players among the national statistics leaders, including two Trojans ranked in the top 20 in hitting percentage. Mike Carroll ranks seventh in the nation with a .500 hitting percentage, while Cesar Trigo de Serrano ranks 19th with a .404 hitting percentage.
Jose Lanier is ranked in the top 10 in a pair of categories, checking in at No. 2 in aces per game with a 0.72 average and ranking sixth in blocks with 1.47 per game.
Kris Suarez ranks 19th in digs with 2.24 per game.
In the team statistics, Mount Olive has the fourth-highest hitting percentage .343, placing behind Division I powers Ohio State, UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series