Cowdrey tosses no-hitter for Trojans
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 4, 2007 2:06 AM
Ten days after throwing her first collegiate no-hitter, Shauna Cowdrey tossed her second no-hitter as Mount Olive defeated Bluefield State 8-0 in game two of a non-conference softball doubleheader Friday at Nancy Chapman Cassell Field.
In the opener, an error in the top of the eighth led to two runs as the Trojans fell 2-0.
Tiffanie Pittman sparked the offense in game two with a bases-loaded two-run double in the bottom of the fourth.
Mount Olive (10-4) clinched the win in the fifth as Erin Wilson's towering fly ball to right field with the bases loaded was misplayed.
Cowdrey (2-2) recorded seven strikeouts. Cowdrey tossed a no-hitter against St. Paul's February 20 in the Trojans' home opener.
In the first game, Ashley Raynor (2-1) took the loss, despite tossing a three-hitter.
Mount Olive travels to Elizabeth City today to take on Elizabeth City State in a non-conference doubleheader. The games were originally scheduled for Saturday, but were pushed back a day due to wet grounds. Game time is 2 p.m.
-- MOC sports information
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series