MOC volleyball goes 3-0
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 4, 2007 2:08 AM
MOUNT OLIVE -- The Trojan men's volleyball team won a pair of matches Saturday on the second day of the 2007 Mount Olive College men's volleyball tournament at Kornegay Arena.
Mount Olive defeated Lees-McRae 3-0 (30-24, 30-19, 30-24) in their first match of the day on Saturday, and beat York 3-0 (30-11, 30-10, 30-19) in the tournament's final match.
On Friday, Mount Olive defeated Eastern Mennonite 3-2 (22-30, 30-28, 30-27, 28-30, 15-12). In that match, Pedro Penate led the Trojans to victory with 21 kills and 10 digs. Cesar Trigo de Serrano and Jose Lanier added 18 and 15 kills, respectively while Zach Wilson recorded 68 assists.
Penate also led the Trojans to their second win of the tournament with 17 kills and one ace. Lanier added 11 kills, three blocks, and two aces, while Mike Carroll had eight kills, two blocks, and one ace.
In final match, on Saturday, the Trojans became the only team to finish 3-0 in the tournament. Mount Olive was led by Kyle Lewis with nine kills, Camilo Guerci with eight kills, and Jorge Tipiana with seven kills. Kris Suarez had 15 digs while Lanier recorded nine aces.
Mount Olive returns to action March 16 at the York College Tournament in Jamaica, N.Y.
-- MOC sports information
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series