Mount Olive college sweeps Erskine
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 4, 2007 2:06 AM
Tom Layne went the distance and Stephen Nordan singled home the game-winner with one out in the bottom of the ninth as nationally 27th-ranked Mount Olive defeated Erskine 4-3 in Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference baseball Friday at Scarborough Field.
Mount Olive took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the third as Scott Houin doubled home a run and scored on Erik Lovett's RBI single.
After Erskine scored a run in the top of the fourth, the Trojans answered in the bottom half as Anthony Williams scored on an RBI single by Nordan.
Erskine tied the game with two runs in the top of the seventh, but Mount Olive loaded the bases in the bottom of the ninth and Graham Wooten scored the game-winning run on Nordan's single.
The complete game was the second of the season for Layne, who improved to 4-0 in five starts.
On Saturday, the Trojans (16-6 overall, 5-1 CVAC) completed the sweep, beating Erskine (14-8, 4-5) 12-5 and 10-5.
-- For more on Saturday's games, see Monday's edition.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series