Trojan golfers place second
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 20, 2007 2:55 PM
VASS -- Scott Woodard is tied for fourth out of 48 golfers and Mount Olive is in second place after the first round of the St. Andrews Men's Golf Spring Invitational Monday at the Woodlake Resort and Golf Club in Vass.
Woodard carded a 39 on the front nine and a 37 on the back nine for a 4-over-par 76, putting him three strokes out of the lead.
Chris Bitzenhofer, who notched a top 10 finish at last week's Lee Nissan/Barton College Intercollegiate, is tied for 11th with a 40-40--80. Johan Hagsund (39-42--81) and Jonathan Greene (40-41--81) are tied for 16th, while Mick Moberg (42-42--84) is tied for 84th.
As a team, Mount Olive shot a 318 to place seven shots behind first round leader Queens. The Trojans have a one-shot lead over third-place Ferris State (Mich.) and only three strokes separate the second and fifth-place teams.
At last year's Spring Invitational, which was shortened to 18 holes due to rain, Moberg and Bitzenhofer captured first and second-place finishes. Mount Olive shared the first round lead, but had to settle for second place on a tie-breaker.
The 36-hole tournament concludes today.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series