Trojans move to No. 15
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on March 27, 2007 2:45 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- On the strength of a 12-game winning streak, Mount Olive earned its highest ranking of the season, jumping five spots to No. 15 in this week's Collegiate Baseball Division II Top 30 Poll, it was announced Monday. The ranking is the Trojans' highest since being ranked No. 15 during the 2004 season.
Mount Olive (30-8 overall, 13-2 Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference) won all five of its games last week, including a three-game CVAC series sweep at Barton over the week. The Trojans scored 42 runs in the three games and have surpassed the 10-run mark eight times during their current winning streak.
Mount Olive belted 10 home runs in its final two games at Barton and a total of 11 round-trippers in the three-game series. The Trojans have won each of their first five CVAC series to maintain the top spot in the conference standings.
The Trojans picked up 260 points in the poll, placing six points behind No. 14 Delta State (Miss.) and 24 points ahead of No.16 USC-Aiken. Cal State Los Angeles remains at No. 1.
Mount Olive plays host to Wingate in a non-conference doubleheader Tuesday at 4 p.m., then resumes conference play this weekend with a three-game series Saturday and Sunday at Anderson.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series