Serra named player of the week
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on March 29, 2007 1:48 PM
Guillherme Serra, who defeated the nation's 30th-ranked singles player, has been named Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference Men's Tennis Player of the Week for the second week in a row, it was announced Wednesday. The award is the fourth overall for Serra, who was also a two-time player of the week winner in 2005.
Serra, a junior from Sao Paulo, Brazil, posted a 7-5, 6-2 victory over Vyacheslav Glebov of nationally 40th-ranked Mercy (N.Y.). Glebov is ranked No. 30 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Division II Men's Singles Top 50.
Serra posted a 2-1 record at No. 1 singles during the week and combined with Vitor Lage for a perfect 4-0 mark at No. 1 doubles. As a team, Mount Olive won four-of-five matches to move back over the .500 mark on the season.
Mount Olive (10-9 overall, 5-1 CVAC) returns to action this weekend as the Trojans play host to Pfeiffer in a Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference match-up. Match time is noon at Walker Tennis Center.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series