Saints fall in tourney
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 11, 2007 1:47 PM
SHALLOTTE -- Reigning champion Southern Wayne ran into a buzzsaw in the form of Southern Alamance during the semifinals of the Diamond Beach Classic at West Brunswick High School.
The Saints held a brief 2-1 lead heading into the third inning before the Patriots exploded for 13 runs over the next four innings to win 14-4 on Tuesday afternoon.
Officials halted the game after six innings due to the 10-run lead rule.
Southern Wayne starter Byron Powell took the loss. The right-hander allowed six runs (five earned) in 22/3 innings of work to go along with four walks and three strikeouts.
Scott Holloman, Brady Wiggins and Tyler Edwards all had a hit for the Saints.
Weather permitting, Southern Wayne (6-10 overall) faces West Stanly in the third-place game at 4 p.m.
The Saints entertain Wilson Beddingfield next Tuesday. Game time is 7 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series