K-Tribe posts shutout
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 19, 2007 1:48 PM
WILMINGTON, Del. -- First-round draft pick David Huff picked up his first win of the season as Kinston blanked Wilmington 4-0 Wednesday night.
Huff, Jeff Stevens and Jim Deters combined for Kinston's first shutout win of the year as Huff went five innings, giving up no earned runs while striking out six. Stevens struck out five batters in three innings and Deters struck out one batter in a perfect ninth.
The K-Tribe broke a scoreless tie in the fourth inning when catcher Chris Gimenez hit an RBI triple, scoring John Drennen and Max Ramirez. Drennen added another run in the sixth with a solo home run, his first of the season. Drennen came across again in the eighth inning as he scored on an error by Wilmington's third baseman. Drennen went 4-for-4 with three runs scored and an RBI.
Kinston (6-4) is now all alone in first place at the top of the Carolina League Southern Division.
The K-Tribe returns to Grainger Stadium for a seven-game homestand starting tonight. Ryan Edell will take the hill for Kinston to kick of a three-game series with the Myrtle Beach Pelicans, Advanced-A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series