Chattanooga holds on against Carolina
Published in Sports on May 9, 2007 2:24 PM
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- Chattanooga capitalized on five unearned runs in the fourth inning and held on for a 6-5, Southern League victory over Carolina at AT&T Field.
Ryan Hanigan singled home a second inning run against starter Gaby Hernandez (2-3), then the Lookouts utilized a pair of Mudcats errors, two walks and a hit batsman to threaten.
Tyrell Godwin doubled in three runs with two outs, then came home on a single to cap a five-run inning as Chattanooga (14-18 overall) took a 6-0 lead.
Jai Miller doubled in two runs in the seventh to draw Carolina (13-19) to within 6-3, then homered with a man aboard in the ninth to close the deficit to 6-5.
James Avery (4-2) earned his second victory over Carolina, working six innings, allowing just one run. Carlos Guevara registered his first save by working the final 21/3 innings.
The five-game series continued today.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series