Conquerors get second consecutive state title
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 14, 2007 1:47 PM
Faith Christian repeated as the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 2-A softball champion with a 4-1 decision over Union Grove on Saturday afternoon.
But the Conquerors repeated as state champion in the most-unlikely fashion.
Faith Christian (14-3 overall) scored its four runs without the aid of a base hit. The runners reached via two walks, a passed ball and a hit batter off Union Grove's Katie Beard -- the unlucky losing pitcher.
Once on the bases, the Conquerors sacrificed and stole bases to get into scoring position. RBI groundouts then drove the four runners home.
The four runners which scored were the only base runners of the game for the Conquerors. Renee Provencal, Brook Anderson, Kaitlyn Floars and Brittany Dale accounted for the runs.
Jennifer Christopher picked up the win by allowing only one run in seven innings while striking out three.
Faith Christian advanced to the finals with a 6-5 win over Tri-City on Friday evening.
Christopher was again victorious on the mound as she allowed five runs on seven hits, walked one and struck out two. She added two hits offensively, while Anderson delivered two hits, including a double.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series